Today, I’ve been having a little difficulty finding any joy. All I can think of are the worst things that will come in four years. Dictatorship and tyranny. Massive oppression. Greater divide between wealth and poor. Not everyone thinks about this, but I do, and so do my peers. So I did the one thing that could heal me: make a playlist. It seems odd because the last thing I want to do is enjoy or make art, but it’s the only way I heal and get away from things, so I will proceed.
Here are the songs on my playlist: messages of love, anger, and critical thinking. You can find it on Spotify.
- Troubled Times – Green Day
- Till it Happens to You – Lady Gaga
- I Give You Power – Arcade Fire feat. Mavis Staples
- Sorry – Beyonce
- Immigrants (We Get the Job Done) – K’NAAN, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC, Residente
- Alright – Kendrick Lamar
- F*** tha Police – N.W.A.
- Revolution Radio – Green Day
- You Matter to Me – Sara Bareilles and Jason Mraz
- Skyscraper – Demi Lovato
- Rise Up – Andra Day
- She Used to Be Mine – Sara Bareilles
- The Sound of Silence – Disturbed (this was originally Simon & Garfunkel, but any version will do; this one happens to fit the narrative of this playlist very well)
- American Skin (41 Shots) – Bruce Springsteen
- Numb – Linkin Park
- Change – Tracy Chapman
- American Idiot – Green Day
- Runaway – Kanye West feat. Pusha T